Woman who fled child support enforcement is found and arrested

On behalf of Loughmiller Higgins, Attorneys at Law posted in Child Support on Friday, May 31, 2013.

People who try to flee from child support orders don’t realize that it’s like trying to get away from death or taxes. They will catch up with you sooner or later. Texas is part of a national network of state governments and child support offices that cooperate in assisting each other to enforce the child support laws.

In the reported case, a woman fled from her state five years ago to avoid prosecution for child support arrears dating back to 1999. She owed $325,000. Just recently, authorities caught up with her in a neighboring state and arrested her.

The woman was from New York and is now being held in a Pennsylvania jail awaiting extradition. She fled proceedings in New York and hid in the neighboring state. Recently, a new task force between state officials and the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services was formed to better locate fugitives. The reported article doesn’t specify the details of how efforts have been beefed up.

However, new technologies are emerging at a lightning pace and finding people through auto registrations and Social Security numbers should be fairly easy by this point. Once the state and federal governments totally synchronize their databases, finding a fugitive from a child support order should be almost instantaneous! That’s why the solution is never to run, unless you don’t mind eventually being caught and spending some time in jail.

It’s far better in Texas or anywhere else to try and obtain a modification of a child support order that you cannot live with. Support offices must give consideration to such factors as poverty, disability and other causes beyond a person’s control. Seeing a family law counsel is your best way to make sure that all of your reasons are strongly presented to the county support offices. Additionally, if you’re the parent who is supposed to be receiving support and there’s been a significant time with no payments, go into the county support office and ask for assistance. They’ll usually be more than willing to put pressure on a recalcitrant parent who can afford to pay.

Source: midhudsonnews.com, “PA woman who owes $325,000 in Orange County child support arrested,” May 25, 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *