Texas parents can seek child support modification

On behalf of Loughmiller Higgins, Attorneys at Law posted in Child Support on Wednesday, December 12, 2012.

A man in trouble for failing to pay his child support has received a surprising court order in the case. He is not allowed to have any more children. Texas parents who aren’t receiving the child support they are due know how difficult it can be to make ends meet. When this happens, they may pursue their case through the courts in order to receive what is theirs by state law.

The man is the father of nine children, six of whom are from different woman. He is behind $50,000 in his child support, and the interest has added up to $40,000. He faced charges of failing to pay his child support and bail jumping. The man’s probation is contingent upon him agreeing to the judge’s terms.

The judge in the case noted he didn’t have the authority to order the man to undergo sterilization. However, he denied probation to the man until he agreed to the court’s terms and could prove he would be able to pay the support. The decision was based upon a Supreme Court decision several years ago that concerned another father behind on his support. The judge ruled the man could still have children if he began to make his support payments.

Texas parents who don’t receive their child support have legal options available to them. However, parents under a court order to pay also have options, especially if their financial circumstances change in such a way that it precludes them from making timely payments. When this occurs, parents may seek relief through the courts in the form of a child support modification order for future payments as they become due.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal, “Racine judge orders father of 9 not to procreate,” Kristen Zambo, Dec. 8, 2012

    Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *